Utilizing the caching features of NGINX will boost your Java Application performance. It was shown in the previous post how to configure microcaching with NGINX and Tomcat or other Java application server
. This post will show the benchmark results of how much can be potentially gained.
Many times we do very complicated things just to make our application handle more transactions. For example:
- Tuning database design and queries to lighten database work
- Use of table index and partitions for efficient database operations
- Database clustering to increase throughput of database server
- Caching of database results on the Java application level, to reduce communication and also database work.
- Clustering of application server
And there are many others.
NGINX is an awesome software that functions as both web server and as a reverse proxy. Sometimes you may need to configure it in front of your tomcat or other application server. There are many reasons but here are some common ones: